Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Journey to London


Life will eventually become more normal, but for now I am enjoying London.  I am staying in a lovely flat off Baker's Street.  How thankful I am that I have been walking diligently every day for well over a year.  Comfortable shoes and stamina are needed here!  
As time is limited I am using most of my time to explore old cemeteries.  I had hoped to get to Suffolk to visit some ancestral homes, but that will be for another trip.  
On Sunday afternoon I toured the Highgate Cemetery, west.  Climbing the stone stairs from the entrance, one is quickly engulfed in a forest of trees, vines and tombstones.  The stones appear to come out of the earth in any which direction.  It is dank, dark, somewhat spooky, and yes ... Gothic.  It is truly London!  
My camera could not shoot fast enough.  Oh the many unusual graves I should capture for future reference and viewing!  I'll be back again ... and to do other things in London and ancestral haunts.  For those of you who won't be coming any time soon, check out London Cemeteries for a closer look at Highgate and others.  

No comments:

Banner banner