Monday, July 14, 2008

Genealogy Dreaming


Do you ever have day dreams about doing nothing but genealogy?  I call those my "what if" thoughts.  They include being able to go to every cemetery I can locate looking for ancestral stones.  Going to every courthouse that has records I need.  They also include visiting ancestral locations, here in the United States, in the U.K. and Europe.  And then something jolts me back to reality.  Usually the gas pump! 

I have started writing letters, contacting by e-mail and searching more on Internet to locate things I need.  It is somewhat boring, but helps the budget.  The other day I drove about 25 miles to the Fort McPherson National Cemetery here in Lincoln Co., Nebraska and took digitals of tombstones.  It was something I had been meaning to do for a long time.  The early morning was cooler than afternoon, and it was quiet and peaceful.  

Have you tried FindAGrave  for information on tombstones, along with maps of cemeteries and photographs of people plus tombstones?  It's a great web site, so be prepared to spend some time.  You can search by names and locations or look up cemeteries.  While there, you should also plan on submitting data on your relatives.  I am particularly impressed with the number of stones they have listed for New England.   Some of those cemeteries I have walked through myself.  It brings back memories and starts those "what if" thoughts all over again.  

Another good place to look for cemetery information is the USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription web site.  Click on the "Tombstone Photo Project" to search by states.  This will also take some time to browse through all of the stones.  

Back to the genealogy dreaming!  Maybe I should win the lottery!  

No comments:

Banner banner